Nicole Hewitt's Reviews > Unwind

Unwind by Neal Shusterman

Apr 21, 2012

bookshelves: all-time-favorites, autographed, own, left-bookcase

I wasn't expecting to love this book. I was a little afraid that it would turn out to be a cautionary tale about the dangers of pro-life ideals, but it wasn't that at all. In fact, I was very happy with how balanced the discussions of the life/choice debate were - it is a central theme of the book, but there are no "right" answers given and the topic is explored from all sides. The only definitive truth presented is the absolute value of life once it has truly begun (the reader is left to decide when that is). It also presents the danger of extremism (on any side of an issue) and how that extremism can lead to people who no longer care so much about the very issue they are fighting for but instead are more driven by their hatred for the "other side". This is a book that makes you think about the issues without giving pat answers. I appreciate that.

Of course, I couldn't give a book 5 stars just because it handled an issue well. What drew me into this book from the very beginning were the characters. All three main characters are well-rounded - flawed, but with a strength that transcends their flaws. In fact, I found myself truly caring about what happened to each and every character - even the "bad guys". There were no cardboard cut-outs in this book, which I loved! The action was interesting, the pacing was excellent, and I was often left guessing about what might happen next. I really couldn't ask for much more. I will definitely be reading the other books in this series and will check out other books from this author as well.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unwind.

Quotes Nicole Liked

Neal Shusterman
“Stupid dreams. Even the good ones are bad, because they remind you how poorly reality measures up.”

Neal Shusterman
“I'd rather be partly great than entirely useless.”

Neal Shusterman
“He's become like that briefcase in the ground-full of gems yet void of light, so nothing sparkles, nothing shines.”

Neal Shusterman
“Which is worse, Risa often wondered, to have tens of thousands of babies that no one wanted or to silently make then go away before they were even born”

April 21, 2012 – Shelved
Started Reading
April 25, 2012 – Finished Reading
February 18, 2016 – Shelved as: all-time-favorites
April 28, 2018 – Shelved as: autographed
April 28, 2018 – Shelved as: own
April 28, 2018 – Shelved as: left-bookcase

message 1: by Stacey (new) - added it

Stacey Wow, sounds good but intense!

Lily at Bookluvrs Haven You know it's bad when I see your comment on this series on your blog, and rush over to Goodreads to add the first in the series to my list... to then discover that I already read the first book... (rolls eyes). LOL Let me make sure that I added the second book at least! HAHAHA