Elizabeth Mundie's Reviews > Mrs. Tuesday's Departure

Mrs. Tuesday's Departure by Suzanne Elizabeth Anderson

Apr 21, 2012

This review is of the revised edition, which I read on Kindle. As my four star rating indicates, I really liked this and do recommend it to others.

The story is set in Budapest near the end of WWII. The Nazis are taking over the city. They realize, however, that they will almost certainly be defeated soon, and they are in their final fury. Despite a foreseeable end to their power, the Nazis still manage to strike terror and create suffering and destruction. The main character tries to save her loved ones, all the while coming to terms with relationship issues, her writing career, her faith, and multiple griefs.

This is a fast paced, page turner story with intriguing characters. I disagree with some other reviewers that it the book is too short. Part of the power of the book comes from the fact that it hits hard and quick and leaves the reader with a haunting quality.

I do, however, think that we do need to see a little more how the main character evolved in her faith. Solely with regard to her faith, which is a main force in the book, we see where she is in the beginning and we see where she is in the end, but I feel that we miss reading some essential steps in how she got from one place to the other. Maybe, that was there, and I just missed it, or, perhaps, the novel would benefit from having that fleshed out for us all a little more. Otherwise, the main character is well drawn, and we are pulled into her interior life along with her.

At the risk of being a prude, I will point out that there are a couple of instances of mild profanity and maybe one instance of God's name being used to express surprise, rather than with respect. In a way, that does add to the realism of the subject, but I think the story would have been equally as powerful without it.

Some do not care for the insertion of a story written by the main character into the novel's events. I can see why that might not be everyone's cup of tea. However, for me, that story, with its hint of uncertainty, added to the poignancy of the novel, and I feel that poignancy is one of the novel's strengths.

Some reviewers also point to a few rough spots in this self-edited work. I do agree that there are a few rough places, but I would have to see anyone miss this jewel of a story on that account.

All in all, I think Mrs. Tuesday's Departure is a great read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mrs. Tuesday's Departure.

message 1: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Nelson Thanks for the warning about the language. I don't think you're being a prude to mention it.