Michele's Reviews > A Houseboat on the Styx: Being Some Account of the Diverse Doings of the Associated Shades

A Houseboat on the Styx by John Kendrick Bangs

Apr 21, 2012

Read in March, 2012

I picked this out at random on Librivox one day and am SO glad I did. It is composed, as the title says, of stories about, yes, a houseboat on the River Styx which turns out to be a men's club for various famous dead people (mostly men). The master of ceremonies is Sir Walter Raleigh; members include Shakespeare, Baron Munchhausen and Noah., among others. In addition to the typical men's club activites (i.e., playing cards, shooting billiards, smoking, and drinking) they also discuss things like which animals should have been saved from the flood and whether the club should host a Ladies’ Day (the discussion gets heated when it comes down to who should and should not be invited, e.g. Eve, Lucretia Borgia, Delilah, all six of Henry VIII's wives).

Most of the book consists of conversation so it's not exactly breathtakingly paced, but it's witty, clever, perceptive, and in quite a few places downright hilariously funny.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Houseboat on the Styx.

message 1: by Jenny (new) - added it

Jenny I will look for this on Librivox! Thanks!

Michele Jenny wrote: "I will look for this on Librivox! Thanks!"

Excellent! Can't wait to hear what you think :)