Alyssa's Reviews > The Defining Decade: Why Your Twenties Matter--And How to Make the Most of Them Now

The Defining Decade by Meg Jay

F 50x66
Apr 20, 2012

liked it

Liked it more than I thought I would. The book provides pragmatic and realistic advice to amorphous twenty-somethings like myself. I found the notions of self-accountability, intentionality, and setting realistic expectations / goals to be very life affirming. However, Dr. Jay's advice is for a very specific cohort of twenty-somethings, the callow, college educated twenty-something that has been mislead by society to believe that adulthood can be delayed to his/her thirties. This book assumes that young adult is in an environment or situation where personal success is achievable once a person conquers his/her unrealistic expectations on work, love, and life.

All-in-all, worth reading! I fit the cohort that Dr. Jay addresses and therefore found the advice relevant. However, if you do not fit this cohort of twenty-somethings, move on!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Defining Decade.