Heather Gadd's Reviews > The Mountains Wild

The Mountains Wild by Sarah Stewart Taylor

bookshelves: read-in-2020

Lately, I’ve inadvertently chosen a string of books that have all been based in Ireland. I have no real ties to Ireland and though I know it is a beautiful place, I never really had a true desire to go there in person. These books have changed my mind, and The Mountains Wild was no different. Taylor has a remarkable ability to paint beautiful word pictures with entrancing imagery. You can really smell the peat fires and feel the moisture in the air (or maybe living in the PNW myself makes these things easy to conjure).

Along with my growing interest to see Ireland is my realization that I know very little about Irish history or politics. While I still have much to learn, Mountains is a quick study in some of the strife and conflict that has plagued the country for decades. It has piqued my interest for further study into its complicated past.

Scenery and background aside, the story itself is a masterpiece. Several plots intertwine to create one cohesive novel. The characters are raw and real, relatable with multiple layers and imperfections, traumas and complexities. No one person is without flaws, which leads the tale on a twisted path that denies the reader an inability to predict the outcome. Even if you guess something right, you’re still going to be surprised.
The Mountains Wild is a gorgeous thriller and I look forward to future works from Sarah Stewart Taylor.

I received a complementary copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mountains Wild.

January 26, 2020 – Shelved