Tim's Reviews > Inside Steve's Brain

Inside Steve's Brain by Leander Kahney

bookshelves: business
Recommended for: anyone in business

While there's not much new here for someone who's followed Apple for years, Leander does a great job of pulling it all together. This is a book I want to make sure lots of people in my company read. It's a compelling portrait of a man who is, by all accounts, extremely difficult. But he is also a great, recurring genius. Understanding what makes him tick is valuable for anyone in business.

The key takeaway that I want my employees to read the book for is the idea that marketing isn't something you add to the product; it's an inherent part of it. "Character is destiny," as Heraclitus said. Apple has delivered remarkable products because Steve understands this in his bones.

There are other great business insights too - the importance of getting it right, even if you have to start over. (The story of how the Apple stores were redesigned at a cost of millions after everyone in the organization was ready to roll with the original design is alone worth the cost of the book. So often, people are reluctant to make changes late in a process. Yet often, it isn't till what is normally considered "too late" that it becomes clear what will make the difference between good enough and great.

I can think of many times when I've insisted on last minute changes, and others when I've let myself be dissuaded. I've never regretted the former; I've almost always regretted the latter.

Reading Steve's story reminds me to be more unreasonable in the pursuit of excellence. This is a great reminder for anyone in business.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Inside Steve's Brain.

Started Reading
July 1, 2008 – Finished Reading
August 30, 2008 – Shelved
August 30, 2008 – Shelved as: business

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by James Robinson (new)

James Robinson D turn fyi pp ft opp