Rossdavidh's Reviews > Genesis: The Deep Origin of Societies

Genesis by Edward O. Wilson

liked it
bookshelves: blue

First, let me say that I am a great fan of E.O.Wilson. I think he's not only a great scientist, but also a deep thinker, whose influence (rightly) extends far beyond his particular field of expertise (which is ants). I wonder if there was perhaps not a bigger, more ambitious book that he envisioned, which got trimmed down to this because, you know, he was not a young man 20 years ago, and this was published in 2019. Or perhaps he felt that several of the many books he has previously written were the big ambitious ones, and it was time for him to write a smaller, introductory one. In which case, maybe this book is successful, because it is not long, it doesn't require a lot of background, and it introduces his basic ideas.

But, if you're an E.O.Wilson fan, looking for the newest intellectual fireworks from a great thinker, well this isn't it. I do like what he says just fine, and by the way I also really like his drawings. But, it sort of felt like the book I maybe should have read 20 years ago, when I didn't know anything about E.O.Wilson or his work. If you are looking for something weighty, that will expand your mind and give you much to think on for years to come, then, this is not your book (although his earlier "The Social Conquest of Earth" is).

But, you know, if you're not sure you're wanting something that heavy just now, then maybe this is fine.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Genesis.

January 25, 2020 – Started Reading