Felicia's Reviews > The Alloy of Law

The Alloy of Law by Brandon Sanderson

Apr 20, 2012

bookshelves: fantasy, epic-fantasy
Read in October, 2012

I mean...Sanderson is just amazing. He writes so well, his characters are SO well-drawn, you simply can't stop reading. There's a feeling of completeness in his plotting that makes you feel completely taken care of. The worldbuilding is stunning and vibrant and new...it's just, kind of ridiculous.

This is a followup in the world of Mistborn, but you DONT need to read the first three to understand what's going on (you should read them though, because it is icing on the cake as far as details.) This is a world with an amazing magic system, but vaguely steampunk/industrial-era in ambience. I went in without really remembering the first three, but the opening is one of the best I've read in a very long time. You INSTANTLY are drawn into the story.

So, if you like high fantasy, or a urban fantasy, or anything like that, pick this up.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Alloy of Law.

02/06/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by a_tiffyfit (new) - added it

a_tiffyfit I loved the first three; I liked the different kind of magic Sanderson brought to life based through alchemy, etc. Can't wait to read this 4th one!

message 2: by John (new) - added it

John Abramowitz Apparently it's set 3k years later. (I havne't read them -- yet -- but several friends of mine are BIG Sanderson fans.)

Katharine (Ventureadlaxre) Not 3k, only 300 years. Alloy of Law is amazing :)

message 4: by Jacob (new)

Jacob Miles I loved all 4 of these books. I actually think I liked The Alloy of Law better then the first three.

message 5: by B'ney (new) - added it

B'ney Wow
Thanks Amazon for not telling me there was a 4th book in the series... How exciting! :p

Michael Alexander Henke I really liked this. I loved the premise, fantasy worlds are usually so static.

Ryan I would actually recommend this book BEFORE The rest of the mistborn books... very very clever.

Danielle I loved this book - make sure you read the other 3 first, lots of wonderful series nods :D

message 9: by Maurers (new)

Maurers I LOVE Sanderson's books.

Kanani waiting for the emperor's soul....

Robert Anxiously awaiting my copy.

message 12: by Jane (new)

Jane Higginson oooh liking the sound of this going to add it to my to read list - which is already too long but there we go!

message 13: by Jaimie (new)

Jaimie Oooh! Did you read Legion, his new novella? It was REALLY great, and is a free audio download from audible right now.

Kanani legion was fun! trying to get my son to read it, too...

message 15: by Liz (new) - rated it 3 stars

Liz I'm so glad to hear that you are a Sanderson fan, I feel remarkably the same way about his writing as you seem to in your review.

message 16: by Neil (new) - rated it 4 stars

Neil Can't wait to read this one. It is the only Mistborn book I have left to read. The first 3 were pretty amazing.

Justin Looking forward to the continuation of this series. Alloy is a stand alone book but the story is supposed to take place in 3 arcs within the same world but different time periods each arc being told in 3 books.