Huw Rhys's Reviews > The Language of Flowers

The Language of Flowers by Vanessa Diffenbaugh

Apr 20, 2012

it was ok

This is a book about a girl with a troubled childhood who struggles to come to terms with motherhood - and tries to express her feelings along the way using flowers.

I can see why a lot of people will fall in love with this book, but for me, it was just a pretty hard read with very little optimism or positivity to take from it.

Maybe too many of the important themes which are addressed in the book are either skirted over too quickly for my liking, or maybe it's the great difficulty I found in liking the book's main protagonist, Victoria. I guess in life we all come across characters like these, but most of us take a view that life is too short to try and change people like this - so we just tend to try and stear clear of them. And that may well be why I didn't enjoy this book as much as I should have. But don't let me rather negative review put you off - there are plenty of chunky themes to get your teeth into here, but don't expect to be superficially entertained. It's a tough piece of work.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Language of Flowers.

April 20, 2012 – Started Reading