Lauren's Reviews > Haunted Heroine

Haunted Heroine by Sarah Kuhn

I was over the moon thrilled when I learned that the "Heroine Complex" series would go beyond a trilogy. The fact that the first novel of this continuation circles all the way back to the perspective of Evie Tanaka - my favorite of the three heroines - made it all the more thrilling for me.

I found it fascinating for Evie and Aveda to spend most of this story away from the other members of their team and on a mission of personal proportions for the former; back at the school she was originally pursuing a Master's before dropping out. Fans of the series will have known since the first book that Evie's power originally came to light - literally - after catching her then-boyfriend cheating on her at the school library. The fact that Sarah Kuhn gives a payoff to a detail about Evie that I originally thought would be unexplored backstory was incredible.

If you couldn't already tell from the fabulous cover for this novel, there are ghosts in this story, and without saying too much, let's just say that they're not always the kind of ghosts of those who've passed away. The way Sarah factored in that - for lack of a better word - "haunting" thought experiment really paves the way for Evie with coming to terms with her past, while on the brink of a future that will certainly change things up for her. It was a compelling position Sarah put Evie in, all the while bringing the same spunk, humor, and badassery the "Heroine Complex" series is best known for.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Haunted Heroine.

January 24, 2020 – Shelved