Abby's Reviews > Gwendy's Button Box

Gwendy's Button Box by Stephen King

19929606

bookshelves: horror, magical-realism, novella, thriller

I tend to very much love Stephen King's shorter works, and Gwendy's Button Box is no exception. Set in King's favorite setting of Castle Rock, Maine, this is a story about Gwendy, a young girl who is given a box covered in buttons by a man in a black coat and black bowler hat. The box improves her life drastically, but, as she learns soon after receiving it, the box comes with a price.

What I love about this story is that it is about making mistakes in youth, and making choices as an adult. Through our mistakes and choices, we all find out what is important in life; what we love and what we want to avoid; what we know is best for ourselves. Through Gwendy, King and co-author Richard Chizmar show how such mistakes and choices can affect life, albeit with help from a box bent on destruction. It is definitely a coming-of-age story; a horrific one.

The only thing I would criticize would be the illustrations by Keith Minnion included in this edition. There were not enough of them, and, to be honest, I wasn't too fond of them. If there had been more I might have appreciated them more.

While this book didn't scare me, I can tell you right now that if a man in a black coat and black bowler hat came up to me offering a box covered in colorful buttons, I would refuse to take it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gwendy's Button Box.

Started Reading