Leah M's Reviews > The Prince's Special Bride: Royal Romance

The Prince's Special Bride by Devika Fernando

As a reader who is fairly new to romance, I'm always a bit apprehensive when starting a new book that's labeled as a romance. However, I had no reason to be with this book.

First of all, it starts off in the Maldives - a location I have always wanted to visit. The way the author describes the sunsets had me wishing I could make my dream a reality sooner than later. Her ability to describe settings is incredible. I especially loved that Marie, the main character, is the Night Manager of a hotel, since it makes me think of another favorite of mine, the show The Night Manager starring Tom Hiddleston.

When Marie befriends a mysterious woman at her hotel, she finds herself in an unpredicted chain of events leading to her falling in love with the very handsome Crown Prince of Taragonia. She's whisked away to their palace for his sister's wedding, but realizes how very different their worlds really are, and wonders if she can make it work.

I enjoyed the biracial representation in the book, which I couldn't help but comparing to the very real story of Prince Harry (are we still calling him that?) and Meghan Markle, who I imagine faced similar challenges from more ... conventional (read: racist) royals, as well as the idea of royals getting hitched to the common folk. I did note that this book was published right around when Harry and Meghan had met and started dating (thanks, Google).

This is a great example of how romance doesn't require profanity or explicit sexual content to be sexy and interesting. It's a great story, and it held my attention as I sped through the story. There's humor, attraction, emotion, and even a little intrigue. I'd definitely recommend this!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Prince's Special Bride.

January 24, 2020 – Started Reading