Javier Real's Reviews > Frankenstein: The 1818 Text

Frankenstein by Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley

Great book, perfect use of words, with poetic tones. It is very interesting the way to describe emotions and feelings, in a profound and eloquent way.
I like that during most of the story the name of the character it is not mentioned until we are in the middle of the story (of course the name is not a surprise, but it was a detail that I found interesting). It is not a mystery; it is just not mentioned. Other interesting aspect is that the monster is not named, is it nameless, it is just after in the development of the tradition of this story that the monster is named after its creator.
It is interesting to read a book with such an impact from which multiple or different works have been created by its influence: plays, movies, books, etc. You can see the origins of the fiction/terror genre y read in its pure form the tale. In had in my mind few images from different sources that were influenced by the book, but these are just an exaggeration of specific details on the story.
Some fragments tend to be somewhat philosophical/poetic and I really enjoyed them.
As with any great book it has been subject of studies and the experts about it have tried to decipher the messages and meanings of the multiple elements of the book.
An important learning from the story is that everything has an origin, a reason of being. This does not mean that the acts are justifiable, but all of this were generated in some point in time by some cause from which there is no return.
In certain moments you could even feel sympathy towards the monster when you know his part of the story and one can not more than wonder what type of life or finale it had been if it had been accepted by society.
I find very intriguing the social context on which the book is publish. To think that the book was published in 1818 and how women was regard on those times, and even when these were limitations Mary Shelley published the book. The support of her family and friends were critical to her, but at the end it was her courage that made the launch possible.
The Afterwork section by UIrich Baer offers great notes and explanations to the book, and it helps to comprehend in a more profound way.
I really enjoyed reading to this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Frankenstein.

January 24, 2020 – Started Reading