Kristy's Reviews > Scarlet

Scarlet by A.C. Gaughen

Apr 20, 2012

liked it
Read from April 20 to 23, 2012

When I read this was a retelling for Robin Hood I was equally excited and worried. I have a 50/50 ratio with retellings. I usually love them or absolutely hate them. But, a Robin Hood re-tell with a girl as part of the gang sounded too interesting to pass up.

Le sigh.
(spoilers ahead)

I have to be completely honest here and say I did not like this book in the beginning. It was very hard to get into. The vernacular was spotty and random. Scarlet was hard to get to know. She/he has so many secrets. Toward the end I was screaming at her to tell Robin who she was.... and to just let him love her. The love interest of Little John was annoying. He seemed like such a likeable guy, I wish he could of just had a girl of his own and not had to do this triangle mess.

The action scenes bugged me at times. There was a lot of build up and then a whole lot of nothing happened. The descriptions for the stealing, fighting, ect. were lacking for me.

Like I said, I really didn't like this in the beginning, but somewhere close to the end I started to settle in with this book and somewhat enjoy myself. I guess the end had a lot of action, so it sort of held my interest. This was one of those books I was not dying to get back to. I'm glad I stuck it out for the end, but I'm still not gaga over this.

I expected more. I expected better.

Great, great, great idea... just not executed as wonderfully as it could have been.

Oooodalaly!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Scarlet.

~Tina~ Oooodalaly! ~giggles~

...sorry you didn't like this one hun:( I'm hoping this comes to my library. I'm still curious:p

Kristy You should still try it out! Pretty much everyone else loved this one!!!

"golly what a day"

~Tina~ Your making me want to pop in the Walt Disney women! lol

message 4: by Cindy (new) - added it

Cindy I agree, I could not get into this one either. Slow and the language was hard to get through. I have read other books and the language flow didn't bother me.... oh well least you were able to get through it:D

Kristy Cindy wrote: "I agree, I could not get into this one either. Slow and the language was hard to get through. I have read other books and the language flow didn't bother me.... oh well least you were able to get t..."

-Yeah, the language in these type books is difficult to do right ....not too much, not distracting, etc...... It might have helped if this story was faster paced in the beginning?????? Meh, I have a very hard time marking something as dnf....