Sarah's Reviews > Deadeye: A detective Jason Smith thriller

Deadeye by Stewart Giles

bookshelves: 2020-reading-challenge

I couldn't wait to read Deadeye which is book 12, and the latest, in the DS Jason Smith series. This author had my full attention yet again as Deadeye is another winner!

Jason Smith is out walking his dogs, Fred and Theakston, in his local Hove park. What could possibly go wrong?!

A shot rings out and screams are heard so Smith goes to see where the noise has come from and to find out what has happened.
A man has been shot in the forehead...
A case is opened and Smith and his team set out to investigate who the man is and who and why would someone want to shoot him?
Forensics find a match against the cartridge that was used in the shooting and shockingly it is from a gun which is commonly used by highly trained marksmen; notably the army.
Unfortunately, further shootings take place and with the extra help from a ballistics expert, it's a race against time for Smith and team to find the killer/s before even more innocent people are killed.

Most scenes are set in York but a few I found particularly interesting because they're set a few years previously in Afghanistan. I was thinking what these soldiers had to do with the murders that were taking place and trying to work out which, or even, if, one of them were responsible for the shootings, and why?
Whoever the perpetrator/s were, were very highly trained.
I was engrossed and on edge the whole way through reading this, I always feel excited with this authors books as you just never know what is going to happen next; they have so much thrill factor!

I really like Smith and each of his team, we have a new DI too, who I took to straight away. The characters are so believable, I feel as if I know them all and it was so good to catch up with them again.
Smith's personal life, well, I wish he'd get his act together...

As is usual from this hugely talented author, the storyline is brilliant and the plotting is well structured, with twists aplenty and another terrific and unexpected ending! It was very enjoyable, plus I got what I wished for! 😉

I highly recommend.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Deadeye.

January 23, 2020 – Shelved