Richard Jr.'s Reviews > The Shell Collector

The Shell Collector by Anthony Doerr

17209090

bookshelves: human-interest, short-stories

When I wrote my initial notes on this book, I was only half-way through and thought that I had already read the best of the author's short stories within the first 120 pages. Not so! In fact, the two fishing stories were yet to come and both kept my attention to the end. In particular, the story entitled "July Fourth" got my best laugh of the book upon reading the last page of that story. No skipping ahead and cheating allowed on this one! The other fishing story is a work of brilliance showing how we all eventually reap the rewards of continual lies that build and build as we cheat on others. Excellent bedtime reading one story per night.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Shell Collector.

January 23, 2020 – Started Reading
January 23, 2020 – Shelved
January 23, 2020 –
page 114
52.05% "What great wordsmithing! My favorite so far in this set of short stories: "So Many Chances" about a Latino girl moving to Harpswell, Maine so her father can take a job as a shipbuilder. She meets a young man who inspires her to fish and she gradually learns the art of Fly Fishing as opposed to bait (ugh) fishing. Through her struggles with early love and failures at fishing, perseverance ultimately brings success."
February 3, 2020 – Shelved as: human-interest