Bradley's Reviews > Crown of Midnight

Crown of Midnight by Sarah J. Maas

bookshelves: 2020-shelf, fantasy, ya

Better. Better than the first book. By a lot.

Yes, the first one is perfectly decent and FUN when it comes to the whole mystery subplot, physical competitions, and a BIT of the romance angle, but the second pushes most of that aside. It focuses, instead, on INTRIGUE. Court intrigue. Celaena is kinda weak in that, as an assassin, she does remarkably LITTLE killing, but I can appreciate how she sticks it to her prig of a King and does everything she can to subvert anything he cares about.

That's FINE. Entertaining, even.

And on top of that, the whole magical subplot gets better. More interesting. And the mild reveals about Celaena's history continues to slowly trickle out pleasurably. Did I mention that it happens slowly? Yes, well, that's okay. The pacing is just about perfect across the board. More, pacing is super important for any UF book.

Huh? Was this supposed to be a UF book? Nope! But it has ALL the hallmarks of one aside from being fantasy in a fantasy realm. YA feel and trademarks, first-person snark and Mary Sue, and a continuing three-way romance undergoing some strain. EVERYTHING here is familiar. Old School. Not even the magic is all that impressive.

But the writing flows. The writing flows well. It's fun and thanks to the new reveals and the history that came before in the first book, it's starting to get some real meat. Hell! Celaena finally broke down with ugly tears! We all love it when Mary Sue shatters into a million pieces. :)

Oh. And that cliffhanger. M***er****er!

Yeah. Well. I guess I could have seen that coming. Dock me a few points here.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crown of Midnight.

January 23, 2020 – Started Reading
January 23, 2020 – Shelved
January 23, 2020 – Shelved as: to-read
January 24, 2020 – Shelved as: 2020-shelf
January 24, 2020 – Shelved as: fantasy
January 24, 2020 – Shelved as: ya
January 24, 2020 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Hiller I've only read one or two Maas books. She sells so well. I feel like I'm missing something in the writing, the characters, the plot. I don't really get why people love her.

Bradley I think it's mostly luck and the desire for kick-butt girls in a light fantasy.... at least for the first two.

The third is superior to the others, however, with bonafide worldbuilding, fully fleshed-out main characters, and a wide and varied plot. This is NOT insignificant. :)

But overall? It's probably just luck. I'm not of the opinion that it is truly superior over most of the epic fantasies out there.