Andrea's Reviews > Ruthless Knight

Ruthless Knight by A. Jade

bookshelves: new-adult

Royal Hearts Banner gRaphc

I'm so torn. Giving this book three stars feels like a crime, but rating it four stars means it's on the same level as book one. And I'm not sure it is... So tentatively I'm giving this four stars, but I didn't like it quite as much as book 1.

Cole is focused on one thing: playing football. It's his love and soul, and what he's been focusing on his whole life. Sawyer is kind, religious, and a total sweet heart. She tries to keep her head up, but being constantly belittled and bullied is getting to her.

These characters were amazing. They are both so full of pain and a little bit broken. But the author made sure to build them back up and make them even stronger. Cole had been through a lot  in his eighteen years. He's lost so much of his family, and he was filled with such anger and bitterness. Sawyer was too nice for her own good, way too forgiving, and with such a big heart.

They shouldn't make sense together, but somehow they do.

The romance?

The romance was *chef's kiss* The banter. The sexual chemistry. Ooof.

It was all here.

What I'm torn on? How Sawyer's issues with her weight were dealt with.

I understand what it's like to want to be skinnier. Telling yourself that you love yourself as you are, and as long as you're happy with yourself, fuck everyone else. But also secretly wishing you looked more like your friends, even though you know you shouldn't.

I understand the pressure to want to look like everyone else and it can be suffocating. Especially when you're surrounded by people who make you feel inferior.

I had no problem with Sawyer feeling that way, and I had no problem with how she chose to dealt with, because like I said, I've felt that. And I know that with all this pressure, it can be easy to succumb to it.

However everyone using fat like it's a dirty word grated on me. It's an adjective, just like so many others. So while I understood the journey Sawyer went through, I wasn't thrilled at how it ended.

That being said, I do wish that authors would write books where they're fat characters don't hate themselves. And while Sawyer does eventually get there, she does spend most of the book doing just that.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ruthless Knight.

Started Reading