Lauren's Reviews > The Shadow of Kyoshi

The Shadow of Kyoshi by F.C. Yee

F.C. Yee built up a fantastic origin story for Avatar Kyoshi in The Rise of Kyoshi. Following up with this latest and final entry into the series is a task that I can't imagine to have been easy. When you're an avatar who's starting point is as unorthodox as Kyoshi's, where exactly do you go from there? Yee's decision in both navigating the demands of the world, what Kyoshi bears from her predecessors, and how she chooses to proceed as the latest and true bridge between mortals and spirits is both the wisest direction and one that makes absolute sense. It's one thing learning how to save the world, but how do you go about it for real?

I said before that "The Rise of Kyoshi" is probably the darkest of the stories that make up the "Avatar" universe as we know it, and that momentum continues on in this iteration. From a wild revenge plot to clans budding heads, if I were the same age as I was when "Avatar: The Last Airbender" came out, I don't think I would be mature enough to read this. But I consider that a good thing, for despite this being a YA novel, I believe Yee's true target audience remains to be the ones who grew up watching the show.

There are so many high stakes and low points all around, which helps make this novel brilliantly stand apart from its predecessor. My only critique though is that I wish we could have seen more of the characters who were Kyoshi's ride-or-dies from the previous novel. With the exception of Rangi, the others hardly show up. This is one additional aspect of the previous novel that I would have more than welcomed to have seen carried over into this one as well. I think there could have been a way to incorporate those characters in.

Aside from that, this is a fantastic novel and another wonderful addition to the "Avatar" universe. My hats off to Yee once more, and I look forward to seeing what he writes next.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Shadow of Kyoshi.

Quotes Lauren Liked

F.C. Yee
“Things were so much clearer when there was relief.”

F.C. Yee
“What we do without guidance defines who we are!”

F.C. Yee
“Weakness is practiced and learned as much as strength is!”

F.C. Yee
“Fortune was an invisible, unconquerable creature that ruled commonfolk and noble alike.”

F.C. Yee
“Enemies are enemies, but no one can shame you like your own family.”

F.C. Yee
“Man guesses, spirits act.”

F.C. Yee
“No fire is ever the same fire. No Avatar is ever the same person. You and the flame change with every moment, every generation. You are one flame, and you are many.”

F.C. Yee
“If honor was the reason quoted for bloodshed, conflict could be avoided by stripping it away entirely.”

F.C. Yee
“Water was calmness and tranquility, but it was the rage of a storm as well.”

F.C. Yee
“Honor cannot be coveted too dearly, young lady. Sometimes it must be laid down for the good of others.”

F.C. Yee
“If one path of a fork promised you oblivion, it didn't really matter what the other path held in store.”

F.C. Yee
“You either accept the risk of winning, or the guarantee of losing.”

F.C. Yee
“...at the cost of sufficient effort, sometimes heroic, inhuman effort, things could get better over time.”

F.C. Yee
“People shouldn't have everything they want. No one is entitled to their every desire. To live in balance, we must willingly decide not to take all that we can from the world, and from others.”

F.C. Yee
“You must give up your desire for someone to tell you your choices were correct in the end.”

F.C. Yee
“My friend is not a diplomat. She is the failure of diplomacy. She is the breakdown of negotiations. There is no escalation of hostilities beyond her.”

January 22, 2020 – Shelved