Anne (Booklady) Molinarolo's Reviews > The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake

it was ok
bookshelves: spring-2012, literary-fiction
Read from April 19 to 24, 2012

2.75 Stars

I wanted to like The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake and I did in places, but the ending befuddled me. (view spoiler)

Aimee Bender|put one too many ingredients in her novel and the magical realism suffered, in my opinion. I wanted more, but when I finished THE PARTICULAR SADNESS OF LEMON CAKE a peculiar melancholy washed over me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake.

04/21/2012 page 88
show 2 hidden updates…

message 1: by Debbie (new) - added it

Debbie I just saw this in the book store but it was hard cover and they wanted more than I'm willing to pay for a used book. lol I plan to keep my eyes out for a $4 paperback. Is the book good?

Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo It is a little odd, Debbie. Not sure about it yet - so far I kind of like it ;) My sister in law liked it, so I'll probably like it as I read more of it. But it is a strange little book. I got my copy at a used bookstore for $3. Not bad for a hardcover book

Melissa I'm very interested to see your review of this book. I didn't care for it much, but it'll be nice to see your thoughts on it.

message 4: by Debbie (last edited Apr 21, 2012 12:33PM) (new) - added it

Debbie Hmm mixed reviews on this one. Well when I do find it in my store maybe I'll stand in the isle and read a few pages to make sure...or better yet use my receipt as a bookmark just incase it gets homesick and wants to go back. Lol

Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo Debbie wrote: "Hmm mixed reviews on this one. Well when I do find it in my store maybe I'll stand in the isle and read a few pages to make sure...or better yet use my receipt as a bookmark just incase it gets hom..."

LOL, that's my thinking! You sure that we are not related, Debbie? ;-p

message 6: by Debbie (new) - added it

Debbie You know what they say about great minds.. ;o)
Looking forward to the review.