Alex findingmontauk1's Reviews > Grief is a False God

Grief is a False God by Gemma Amor

bookshelves: lohf, owned

"The thing about joy and happiness, however, is that it is only ever one stroke away from despair."

Grief is a False God is a short story that focuses on a family living on a farm. Elijah and Jess are happily married and just seem head-over-heels perfect in life. They parent a child and things still seem as if life could not be better. But Elijah discovers his wife dead and floating in the farm's pond one day. What happened? Was it suicide? Or something else? Gemma Amor helps highlight that just because things may seem okay, that does not mean they are. Depression can be a foul and tricky demon, literally or figuratively.

In this story, Gemma Amor intimately dives into emotional and psychological horror. I felt like I was out of breath and devastated while reading... I felt like I was on the farm with the family. The illustrations in this story are by Anibal Santos and they bring the story to life even more. You can feel the sadness and longing in some photos and you can feel the horror and fear in others.

This short illustrated story packs quite a punch - and it is not one that I will soon forget. Highly recommended! Thanks to Cemetery Gates Media for a copy in exchange for an honest review! 5 stars!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Grief is a False God.

January 22, 2020 – Started Reading