T.B. Cooper's Reviews > The First

The First by Dylan S. Perry

Okay, so if this novella had been longer, I’m not sure if I’d have gone higher with my rating or lowered it to a three? But, because of its short length and the fact that I liked the premise, I’m going to be generous and give it a 4; here’s why…

Plot: The plot is intriguing; a time-traveling witch, the first of her kind, who finds she has an important role to play in the shaping of the future of womankind. YES!! Great idea for a story! Was it executed in a believable fashion within the confines of 152 pages? Eh… I guess so. However, a longer book would’ve done this story justice since so much was glossed over & opportunities to enrich the tale weren’t taken.

Characters: Here’s where a longer book could have helped for sure. Margaret’s husband and how his arc finishes out at the end is just- no. I mean, in an HEA, he’s great, but so no believable. But again, there weren’t enough pages to show how he’d evolved. Margaret as well (the MC), I would’ve liked to read more about her experiences to see how they shaped her, rather than seeing her ALREADY shaped by the next chapter.

Overall: Short story: short review. Again, it could have been so much more, but for what it was- I liked it enough to recommend as a quick & thought-inspiring, wishful, read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The First.

Finished Reading