Beaulah Pragg's Reviews > The Book of Tomorrow

The Book of Tomorrow by Cecelia Ahern

Apr 19, 2012

Read in November, 2009

Quite simply, this book is superb. The opening paragraph caught me and the next one refused to let me go. The Book of Tomorrow is written with wit and humor, yet the tension lying just beneath the surface makes this far more than just a light, entertaining read.

Set in Ireland, this book focuses around the 'coming down to earth' of a young woman, Tamara, who used to have it all. There are plenty of contemporary references in here, from Hannah Montana to Harry Potter, Louis Vuitton and an obscure reference to a film I haven't seen since I was really young - Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. Although these references will ultimately date this book, they also bring it to life, grounding Tamara in our world and thereby making her fantastic discovery all the more plausible.

Although on the surface, this might seem a story about a long forgotten scandal, it was Tamara's personal growth that moved me the most. It happened in fits and starts, never over stated. The sort of change where, looking at the girl who walks out the end of the novel, you wonder how she could ever have been the same person in that opening chapter.

Well worth a read. Good for most ages (though parents of younger children may want to read first and decide for themselves, there is an implied sex scene about three quarters of the way through).
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Book of Tomorrow.