Ruth's Reviews > The Siren's Song

The Siren's Song by Jennifer Bray-Weber

Apr 19, 2012

bookshelves: captain-naval-pirate, covers-that-are-gorgeous, historical-romance, net_galley, regency-victorian, series, set-in-caribbean
Read from April 19 to 24, 2012

Ah, I'm a total sucker for these pirate romances. It's pathetic really, but I just can't seem to help myself.

This one, provided by netgalley, was a follow-on from A Kiss in the Wind, which apart from having a title which makes me giggle like a pre-pubescent boy, is a damned fine pirate tale. Interestingly, you really don't have to read the preceding book at all (there is also a first in the series, which I haven't gotten to yet called Blood and Treasure). You know, sometimes the main protagonists from a preceding book arrive back on the scene, usually with about 6 kids in tow and completely altered personalities. Well, that doesn't happen here. Only the secondary characters are the same, and it works very nicely.

The heroine is good. She's not a natural pirate, knows nothing of pirate-ways and is as clueless and pathetic as I would be, quite frankly, if confronted by shipwreck and a bunch of lawless pirates. She's a singer, for Christ's sake! And I think she's great. I also love that she's not frikkin' perfect, by any stretch of the imagination, in fact, she has a couple of pretty serious flaws, which made me like her even more. There was one little issue I had with her, in that towards the end she goes and does some pretty stupid things that had me questioning why I liked her at all, but I felt I could live with them.

The hero is probably one of my favorite pirates ever. I love his really sad, and very humble, backstory and how he accidentally became a pirate. I dunno, I can see that it would be like that for most pirates. After all, pirates, if caught (and they were usually caught), would have been hung, which is not a particularly pleasant, or motivating thought. Anyway, this poor blighter drinks like a fish, takes a cuppa herbal tea for his hangover the next morning, and is totally bent on revenge.

So, pure, unadulterated pirate entertainment. I hope and pray that this is one of those series that never ends (like Horatio Hornblower, but naughtier, with sexy bits).

4 stars. I really need to read the others in the series, and move over Jack Sparrow!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Siren's Song.

04/19/2012
1.0% "Oh goody! A naughty pirate story! My favorite and just in time for the weekend, too!"

message 1: by Tammy (new) - added it

Tammy Walton Grant Ah, Ruth, I love your reviews! I've now given you an English accent that reads your reviews in my head as I read them on my screen.

(the line, "It's pathetic, really, but I just can't seem to help myself" I love it, in my head you sound like Emma Thompson).

Anyway, your description of the Hero, your favourite pirate, intrigues me, and I'll be looking for this one to add to my endless tbr.

Thanks!

Ruth Tammy wrote: "Ah, Ruth, I love your reviews! I've now given you an English accent that reads your reviews in my head as I read them on my screen.

(the line, "It's pathetic, really, but I just can't seem to h..."

Thanks Tammy!

Emma Thompson?! I'm completely flattered!