Barb's Reviews > Mrs. Robinson's Disgrace: The Private Diary of a Victorian Lady

Mrs. Robinson's Disgrace by Kate Summerscale

Apr 19, 2012

bookshelves: vine, gave-it-a-try-and-then-gave-up, non-fiction

This is the second book by Kate Summerscale I've attempted to read. Other readers and several friends enjoyed and recommended 'The Suspicions of Mr. Witcher'. Last year I gave it a try and didn't get very far. I had high hopes that 'Mrs. Robinson's Disgrace' would be more enjoyable, and it was. I made it more than half way through the book before giving it up.

I'm not a huge fan of non-fiction but I do like to mix a little non-fiction into my diet. This story sounded really interesting and I liked the beginning. I thought Summerscale did a nice job of making the historical figures come to life. But by the time the dry details of the divorce trial rolled around I no longer cared what happened to these people.

I would have preferred more attention paid to the Robinsons and less to Charles Darwin, Charles Dickens and George Eliot. I understand why the newspapers were opposed to publishing the portions of Mrs. Robinson's diary that were read into evidence during the trial but I wanted to know just what was so scandalous, what did she say...

I thought this would have had more from Isabella Robinson's private diary and less of Summerscale's dry commentary.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mrs. Robinson's Disgrace.