Melinda Garman's Reviews > Pablo's Christmas

Pablo's Christmas by Hugo C. Martin

F 50x66
This fiction children’s book takes place on a small farm in Mexico, in the Valle de Guadalupe. The main character is a young boy named Pablo. This book is geared to 3rd through 6th grade. The text is written in English, but is entrenched with the Mexican culture. Pablo leads a hard life on his family’s farm, but in the evening enjoys listening to Mexican folktales. When his mother becomes pregnant his father must go to America to find work for extra money and Pablo must become the man of the family. While his sister is worried that their father will fall in love with America and will not come back, Pablo must deal with the coyotes that snuck into the henhouse and ate some of the family’s hens. In the end Pablo must muster up enough courage to make life as joyful as possible for his mother and sisters and try to fill his father’s shoes. The reason I choose this book is because I feel like there are a lot of Hispanic students that can relate to this story. There are many Hispanic families that came to America for job opportunities, and due to their parents working a lot of hours they might have to take on a lot of grown-up responsibilities. For that reason, I feel that Pablo is a very relatable character.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pablo's Christmas.