Lorca Damon's Reviews > The Downstairs Girl

The Downstairs Girl by Stacey  Lee

After borrowing the ebook three times from my library and never even getting a chance to open it before it auto-returned, I actually SCHEDULED a time to get it, open it, and read it. I was NOT sorry I did! This book is delightful. At times intriguing and uplifting, at other times heart-wrenching and soul-burning, it's a very clear portrayal of something we often don't learn about: Reconstruction-era life for lots of people, especially marginalized communities.

Jo Kuan is equal parts brilliantly intelligent and lovably endearing. You just want her to win, she's so well depicted. Her plotting and her opinionated nature could easily be the end of her, though she still manages to rise to the top.

The historical portrayal in this novel was gripping, too. The plight of freed slaves in the South, Chinese laborers who'd been brought in to "replace" slaves, women who were still expected to marry well even if they didn't wish to marry at all, even the women who fought for (and against each other's) voting rights were amazingly done.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Downstairs Girl.

January 18, 2020 – Started Reading