Jenny (Reading Envy)'s Reviews > Flags in the Dust

Flags in the Dust by William Faulkner

I'm auditing a Faulkner class this semester to help me read and understand some of his catalog since I've always failed when I've tried on my own. Flags in the Dust, published in reduced form as Sartoris in 1929, lays the groundwork for the setting of several more novels. I say that allegedly because I haven't read them yet. This one is set immediately after World War I with characters dealing with the aftermath, and of course the impact on already tense race relations. Faulkner focuses on a handful of characters and the novel has the feeling of opening doors to observe the characters and checking back in on them to see what else has transpired. I like to think of this as lazy afternoon teatime with a few car rides in between. It's a bit of a mess but gets better as it goes. (Since I read all 400 pages in a day I think I need to reread the last quarter.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Flags in the Dust.

January 20, 2020 – Started Reading
January 23, 2020 – Shelved as: around-the-usa
January 23, 2020 – Shelved as: location-usa-mississippi
January 23, 2020 – Shelved as: southern
January 23, 2020 – Shelved as: faulkner2020

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)

message 1: by Dale (new)

Dale As I Lay Dying

message 2: by Elizabeth☮ (new)

Elizabeth☮ Faulkner is really a genius at creating setting and characters. I haven't read this one, but I am definitely familiar with the name Sartoris.

Jenny (Reading Envy) Elizabeth☮ wrote: "Faulkner is really a genius at creating setting and characters. I haven't read this one, but I am definitely familiar with the name Sartoris."

Yes apparently they show up quite a bit. I only know this from class, not experience, yet.

Jenny (Reading Envy) Dale wrote: "As I Lay Dying"

I think we are reading that after The Sound and the Fury.

message 5: by Elizabeth☮ (new)

Elizabeth☮ The sound and the fury is quite a work.
You are reminding me that I need to get some Faulkner in my reading life. It’s been a while since I’ve read anything by him.

message 6: by Lisa (new)

Lisa A class is a great way to read Faulkner.

message 7: by Lynne (new)

Lynne Impressive!