Andrew Marr's Reviews > Suddenly There is God

Suddenly There is God by Veronica Mary Rolf

bookshelves: christian-spirituality, theology, bible

Veronica Mary Rolf was become known to readers of Christian spirituality through two excellent books on Julian of Norwich. She has now gifted us with a powerful book of meditations on scripture themes. Throughout, she uses the stories and insights of scripture to illuminate our everyday lives. The principle ways she does this is by using a developmental approach. The Creation narratives are explored in tandem with our own entry into the world. The wonder of coming to be, of course, is something we only gradually come to realize over a lifetime. Following chapters take us through the Fall (Broken Trust) and adolescence (the Flood.) Forgiveness comes towards the end of the book as it takes maturity to learn forgiveness. Late maturity is connected with self-giving. The opening chapter is sort of like a literary Big Bang as the wonder of our being unfolds in Rolf's powerful and poetic prose. This sense of wonder takes many turns through the various struggles in life with its pains the the challenge of commitment and life's pains teach us how hard the trust of commitment can be. By the end of the book (Resurrection) we have had a lifetime's worth of strengthening that we can put to use for the rest of the days given us. For anyone looking for a book on spirituality, this book should be at the lop of the list. Highly recommended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Suddenly There is God.

Started Reading