Kelly's Reviews > Lola and the Boy Next Door

Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins

251943
Apr 19, 2012

bookshelves: contemporary, physical-books, young-adult, 2012-favorites, read-in-2012, signed

You know how some books totally hit the spot? That was Lola for me. I loved it. I loved Cricket. I loved Lola's wigs and her costumes. I loved that Lola was so irrepressibly Lola. I loved that we got to see Anna and St. Clair again. I loved all these little things and they added up to make me ridiculously happy. To the point where even though I loved how the book ended and I loved where the characters ended, I wanted more. I want to see the next phase of Cricket and Lola. I want!

I'm not going to lie, I had expectations going into this book. I loved Anna's story and I was very excited to dive into this book. But... but... I kept thinking that I loved Anna so much that there was no way Lola could live up to her. I had fears, guys. Fears! And yet those fears were unfounded. While Lola's story wasn't quite as effortlessly charming as Anna's, it still captured me and kept me enthralled.

One of the things that I wasn't enamored of was Lola's boyfriend, Max. I didn't like him. Besides the age difference (which at their age is HUGE), I just... wanted him gone. But at the same time, Lola's story wouldn't have been half as poignant if she had dropped Max like a hot potato and fallen into Cricket's arms. The buildup was slow and lovely and Max's interference in it was part of that.

Stephanie Perkins has done at outstanding job of creating characters that shine through their awkwardness. She writes people that I want to know. And she made them so ridiculously real. I'm eagerly waiting for Isla's story now so that I can be dazzled once again.

-Kelly @ Reading the Paranormal
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lola and the Boy Next Door.

Amanda Read faster.

Kelly Amanda wrote: "Read faster."

DONE! *flaily flaily flaily flail*
*kermit arms*
*more flail*

Amanda It is scary how similar our thoughts are on this book.

Kelly Amanda wrote: "It is scary how similar our thoughts are on this book."

TWINSIES!