Jessie Potts's Reviews > Geared for Pleasure

Geared for Pleasure by Rachel Grace

Apr 19, 2012

bookshelves: romance, steampunk

Rachel Grace (also known as R.G. Alexander) intertwines hot, sizzling romance with Steampunk, a popular sub-genre of science fiction that centers around machinery, gears, clockwork and alternate histories. Steampunk's growing popularity can be seen in current fashion, art, and, of course, the publishing field, where stories often meld machinery, fantasy and Victorian sensibilities to create something completely new. Geared for Pleasure consists of two novellas. Each story arc involves the missing Queen of Theorrey but focuses on different characters.
Earthly Desires is about Dare, the Queen's Chalice (her protector) and closest friend. When Queen Idony goes missing, Dare takes it upon herself to find her beloved Queen and companion. Unfortunately, because Dare isn't used to the outside world, she finds out just how difficult life can be for someone who is so sheltered.

She is tricked, tied up and mysteriously led by a mechanical bug to freedom. Bodhan (our dashing and very hot hero) is the captain of a mechanical underwater vessel called the Siren. When he meets Dare, he feels compelled to protect her … and perhaps take her to bed.
These two scorched up the pages. I don't think it was "love" between them, but their chemistry and heat were undeniable. Bodhan is the perfect dashing, "tall, dark and handsome" hero who knows his way in and out of a woman's bed. Dare is spirited and, as I followed her adventures, I found myself rooting for her to find not only her Queen, but also a partner.

Fiery Temptations is about Phina and Cyrus (both of whom we meet in Earthly Desires). Unlike Bodhan and Dare, these two have a history, which gives the story (and their romance) a certain depth. What I found interesting was that their past was not all good — turns out Phina is partly responsible for Cyrus (the Queen's Sword) getting captured and tortured. Now, with Cyrus' sacred dagger lost and Phina moved by his suffering, Phina and Cyrus need each other, but can they really set aside the past and everything between them?

The bedroom scenes between these two are reflected in the novella's title. They were fiery and they were scorching … sometimes at the most inopportune times! Like when they're hiding in a closet, and suddenly the heat rises and … well, you get the picture.

The two novellas are sexy romances at heart, so the plot is mainly used to push the main characters together. Rachel Grace has a good thing going with the Elemental Steam series. I can envision a full-length Theorrey novel with real world building and even more Steampunk aspects. If Grace plans on releasing more, I would definitely give this series a try, especially if you adore pleasure, passion, and Steampunk mechanical creatures!

Read more on USA Today's Romance Blog HEA

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Geared for Pleasure.