Gregory Baird's Reviews > The Fault in Our Stars

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

Apr 19, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: 2012-booklist, young-adult, hated-it, love, death-and-dying, coming-of-age, adapted-for-film
Read from April 19 to 24, 2012

"It is the nature of stars to cross"

Boy, do I have a feeling I'm going to provoke a lot of anger among the Nerdfighter community with this. All I ask is that you hear me out.

I've read all of John Green's full-length, independently written novels (opting to skip all the collaborations and side projects). I find him to be a mostly charming, witty writer, but I've never obsessed over him the way his impressive legion of fans (called Nerdfighters) have. Clearly, I've enjoyed him enough to keep checking in every time he's published a new book, but there have been enough flaws or annoyances to keep me a little jaded about the experience. The Fault in Our Stars may have officially tipped the scales against Green for me. It's the first time I've really found myself irritated by a Green novel.

Full review on my blog: http://ow.ly/kYI00

Grade: D+

12/19/2016 marked as: read

Natalie Wow 2 stars. I thought this book was universally loved.

Gregory Baird I can be quite the grumpy contrarian, eh? I'm debating whether or not I want to write a review of this one because I'm loathe to anger the mob of Green-ophiles out there.

Natalie No, anger them! I love Goodreads fights.

Gregory Baird Instigator ;-)

Gregory Baird Posted! Let the vitriol commence!

Celine Thanks for the critical review. I was starting to think I was the only person alive that didn't want to read this book. Now I can at least see that my suspicions about it are true (: