Emily's Reviews > Cinderella Ate My Daughter: Dispatches from the Frontlines of the New Girlie-Girl Culture

Cinderella Ate My Daughter by Peggy Orenstein

Apr 18, 2012

liked it

Orenstein does a great job raising very interesting points, that really, should be considered by any parent. Her voice is easy to read, concise and entertaining. She is able to put into words much of what makes me uncomfortable about our age of consumerism. Although she raises great points, she often stops there. She raises the point, identifies its inconsistencies, asks valid questions, contradicts herself and then moves on. There is never any resolution or solution. But, maybe that's what makes the book work. Maybe simply asking the questions/opening the dialogue, will cause people to pause before they allow their child to have an adult size portion of whatever is being pushed down their throats this week. I like how she was open about the fact that despite her "expertise" on the subject, she is just as confused about how to proceed in the real world as the rest of us. While reading this, I had the phrase, "moderation in all things" running through my mind. For me, being cognizant of what my children are exposed to, using common sense, avoiding extremes and not worrying about those around me are doing, seems to work-- at least for this week.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cinderella Ate My Daughter.