Ami's Reviews > Dark Time

Apr 18, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: urban-fantasy-paranormal-futuristic
Read from April 19 to 21, 2012

Although this book had been on my peripheral for quite awhile (thanks to Goodreads's "Readers Also Enjoyed" section), but I didn't want to approach it before. Simply because of the cover. I mean, that woman has no head!! But I was always eager to look for series, so I decided to give this a try.

I was captivated from the earlier chapters. The idea of an ex-demon assassin, who decided to get out from her contract, and now must redeem herself by saving people (and she has timeline!) is simply unique. I never encounter such thing before.

Maliha (I LOVE that name!) is also not like any other heroine. I mean, she used to be Ageless, but now she is mortal. She bleeds (even if she still heals relatively faster) and she can die. Her power is unlike magic or being a vampire or shifter ... which is often a common theme.

There are a couple of flashback scenes in the middle -- which distract me. I learn to welcome it because it gives more nuance to Maliha and how she makes her current friends. However, it does put a dent in my enjoyment. Also, while I like the name Maliha, it is strange that Malina never really uses that name (except for us, readers). She, instead, uses Marsha Winters for others. Which is just weird.

The action near the end is quite good! The ending intriguing. I am going to give the next book a shot because I want to know what happens next with Maliha (or Marsha).
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dark Time.

04/18/2012
26.0% "So far, it has been pretty intriguing"
show 1 hidden update…

Experiment BL626 Sadly, this is the best book in the series so far. =S

message 2: by Ami (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ami Wait, so it is not get better but the other way around?!

Experiment BL626 I thought that way because book 1 is where Maliha give her best as an ex-assassin. The other books, not so much. Book 2 was heavy on the romance, while book 3 was heavy on the angst. I'm hoping book 4 will return the series to its thriller element.

message 4: by Ami (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ami Okay. Thanks for the warning. I will keep this in mind and adjust my expectation.