Karen's Reviews > The Love Story of Missy Carmichael

The Love Story of Missy Carmichael by Beth Morrey

190448

"She marched to the beat of her own drum, whereas I seemed to listen out for everyone else’s."

I loved and adored this story. This is the story of Missy Carmichael who is living by herself at the beginning of a new stage of her life where she's lost her husband and is estranged from her daughter and so far away from her son who lives in Australia. She is living a contained life.

"To be open with one’s emotions, to reveal one’s devotion so obviously, seemed reckless, as if inviting a knock‑back."

As she meets her next-door neighbor Alice, her life begins to open up and thanks to a series of small-seeming events she starts building a community around herself. She touches people's lives and allows them to touch hers. She mends relationships. She learns about herself. She grows up and opens up.

"The magic doesn’t stop the worst happening. The worst happens all the time, every day. And then life goes on. And you just hang on and hope that you can keep whatever crumbs and tiny white teeth are left."

The magic of letting others help you, of expanding your life, of leaning in and on others is at the heart of this gem of a novel. And it shows you what happens when a person is supported and loved and blooms under the care of that love.

"I’d never seen myself like that before. The first photo summed me up, mostly, but the second had exposed my other self, the tiny part of me that could laugh like that. I wanted to poke my way into that part like I’d delved into the envelope, widen and open it up so that it overwhelmed the stiffness and self‑consciousness and all the other weaknesses I despised."

It's not possible to read this beautiful novel, full of beautifully rich characters and not to feel your heart growing a size bigger. I have loved my time with it and it will stay with me for a long while.

with gratitude to netgalley and Penguin Group Putnam for an early copy in exchange for an honest review.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Love Story of Missy Carmichael.

January 18, 2020 – Started Reading