Joe Lunievicz's Reviews > Bloodspell

Bloodspell by Amalie Howard

I'll put this out there up front. It took me a while to get to read Amalie Howard's Bloodspell. I picked up Bloodspell a few months ago but hadn't put it on the read-next list yet. I haven't read a supernatural story in a while and I wasn't looking to read one right now but… as things like this go sometimes I found myself without a book, ready to leave the front door on vacation for Florida when I saw Bloodspell on my shelf and it called to me. I love when that happens. From the first page this story grabbed me and did not let me go until I closed the book on the plane ride home.

Here are the reasons: 1) Victoria, the protagonist is a strong female character that can get business done. You will care for her immediately because of her strengths and her vulnerabilities. She is one kick-ass warrior. 2) Christian (talk about a star crossed lover) as her partner is a creation that toys with vampire lore enough not only to make him unique but a good fit for Victoria. Victoria doesn't need him but when they're together there are fireworks of all kinds. 3) This narrative moves. It is not kinetic - it is highly compelling. 4) Amalie Howard is a good storyteller and a nuanced writer who knows her material, knows how to draw us in as readers, and clearly cares about her characters - therefore we do. 5) I loved the backstory of Victoria's family and the connections that are brought forward to the present in the narrative as a riddle for both the protagonist and the reader to discover together. They are beautifully woven into the story from beginning to end. I'm a history buff and Ms. Howard's authenticity for the period pieces, and for the scenes in Europe rang true.

I just noticed that Ms. Howard's sequeal Bloodcraft is on deck for 2013. I'm not going to wait for a last minute selection to pick it up.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bloodspell.

Finished Reading