Zareen's Reviews > We're Going on a Bear Hunt

We're Going on a Bear Hunt by Michael Rosen

F 50x66
Apr 18, 2012

Going on a bear hunt is probably the most popular book and any child can tell you that they have read it and loved it. It’s about a family going on a bear hunt. They encounter various obstacles and discover that they can’t go through it, can’t go under but have to go through it.
The obstacles the family encounters are: long wavy grass (swishy swashy manner) deep, cold river (splash, splosh) thick, oozy mud (squelch, squerch) big, dark forest (stumble, trip) swirling, whirling snowstorm (hoooooo woooooo) narrow, gloomy cave (tiptoe, tiptoe). In the end the family does actually find a bear and quickly run back through the woods facing the same obstacle. Children love the idea of repetition. As a reader, it was a good idea to read this part with an element of suspense and at a quick pace to add that extra bit of excitement. They finally come home and are safe and hide under the covers.
A superb story executed by beautiful illustration. This story can be utilised having cross curricular links with science and geography in KS1.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read We're Going on a Bear Hunt.