Meg Dendler's Reviews > Don't Date Rosa Santos

Don't Date Rosa Santos by Nina Moreno

liked it

This is a sweet coming of age romancy story, but a lot of it felt forced or didn’t quite make sense. Rosa is supposedly doing dual credits between high school and college, yet she has full day after full day to deal with community issues and never seems to be attending class—online or otherwise—or doing homework. It also had a very “one of each” vibe at the beginning when the community is introduced. In a mostly Cuban old-school community, there’s a mayor named Yang with a service dog, yet we never hear from him again or find out what the dog is for. He’s just kind of dropped in there with characters of various races and sexual orientation. It just felt carefully designed instead of natural to what that small city would look like. Rosa Santos herself is a nice character, but I also found it hard to swallow the huge leaps she makes from things she has refused to do her whole life. Overall, it’s a cute book, but not the top of my list.

*I reviewed this book as a second round judge of the Cybils Book Awards, but I checked my copy out of the local library (did not receive a free copy from the publisher) and am under no obligation to post a positive review.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Don't Date Rosa Santos.

January 18, 2020 – Started Reading