Juli's Reviews > The Jewel Robbery at the Grand Metropolitan: A Short Story

The Jewel Robbery at the Grand Metropolitan by Agatha Christie

bookshelves: read-local-library-2020

The Jewel Robbery at the Grand Metropolitan is a Hercule Poirot short story first published in The Sketch magazine in the UK on March 14, 1923. The original title was "The Curious Disappearance of the Opalsen Pearls.'' In 1924, the story was published in the US as "Mrs. Opalsen's Pearls.''

In this second Poirot short story, the dapper Belgian is called on to help investigate the disappearance of a pearl necklace. Somehow the necklace was stolen right under the nose of Mrs. Opalsen's maid. Poirot sets out to prove how it was done, hopeful that he can recover the stolen property.

I'm enjoying these short Poirot stories. The characters aren't fleshed out and the plots are simple....but each is only a few pages long, so brevity is a necessity. The mystery and its solution are the goal....not the characters themselves. The tales are bare bones, quick reads....a flash of Poirot's magnificent little grey cells and done.

All in all, an entertaining short story! I've read a lot of Christie's novels over the years...but never read any of the short stories. I'm reading the text for each story in ebook format while listening to the audio just because I love hearing Poirot's dialogue in his accent. In this case, the narrator for the story was not David Suchet, but Charles Armstrong. Armstrong did a very good job! I'm reading text and listening to audio at the same time for the novels as well....but for different reasons. I have come across several newer editions of Christie's books that have a disclaimer about "editorial edits'' being made. I was very curious about those edits....so I'm reading the text in my older paperbacks while listening to unabridged audio from a newer edition.

The television series Agatha Christie's Poirot starring David Suchet as Poirot did an episode based on this short story (Season 5, episode 8). The episode follows the basic plot, with a few changes and additions to stretch it to fill a 45 minute episode. I streamed the episode on Britbox, but you can find it on YouTube as well.

On to the next story: The King of Clubs!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Jewel Robbery at the Grand Metropolitan.

January 17, 2020 – Started Reading