Have Coffee Need Books's Reviews > Man Crush Monday

Man Crush Monday by Kirsty Moseley

#GirlCrushAmys

I thought Amy Summers from Lauren Blakely's Asking for a Friend was my ultimate book girl crush, but now I need to start a collection of Amys because Amy Clarke is as delightfully precious as my other Amy.

#CollectionofAmys

Life is desperate when the highlight of your week is Monday morning--that's my opinion anyway. But for Amy Clarke, she lives for those days when her nerdy train obsession boards the train to London. If only this cute guy she adores, like-a-creeper, noticed her, the world would be perfect. She's barely said a word to him, yet she knows she's in love.

Years ago, I read Kirsty Moseley's The Boy who Sneaks in my Bedroom Window and loved it. I admit that the writing is rough; the story dramatics are dramatic--but it has a loveliness in that it fearlessly takes on the uncomfortable topic of child abuse, and the desperation survivors face daily. I loved the friendship between FC's brother and his best friend; Liam and Jake's interactions are one of my favorite things about the book.

Kirsty Moseley brings the same camaraderie to this book with her hero Jared and his brother Theo. For some reason that I won't search out therapy to examine, I love the portrayal of these relationships. They work for me, and it helps me enjoy the heroes more for it.

A brief coffeetrastophe, a well known but heartwrenching event no coffee drinker ever wants to see or experience, leads to Amy's wildest imaginings coming to be. Fate is blessing her. A would-be Godmother, in the shape of an adorable dog needing an ear scratch, makes it possible for her obsession bumping into her, literally. Now amongst unfortunate coffeetrastrophe carnage comes her crush's name, a date, and a tingle of chemistry destined for fulfillment.

While Amy is my favorite character in Man Crush Monday, Jared and Amy together are more magic than readers deserve. We deserve a lot, but this is some diety level stuff that most people are only lucky enough to get in the afterlife. They are perfect together. I didn't want to put this book down.

The only detractor was that the surprise is predictable, and the reveals lead to some of the most frustrating character panicking in need of a firm smacking. It never once made me want to skip a page, though, so let's say that it wasn't a real problem for me.

Is there someone who can make this a streaming series? I would tune in weekly for more Amy Clarke.

I voluntarily reviewed a complimentary advance copy of this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Man Crush Monday.

January 17, 2020 – Shelved