Brad's Reviews > The Last Colony

The Last Colony by John Scalzi

419333

bookshelves: sci-fi

The Last Colony is when John Scalzi ramps up the geo-political intrigue in his Old Man's War galaxy. And, he does that by bringing back John Perry, the protagonist from Old Man's War.

I won't lie, I was happy to have him back. Since he was the first character we met in this series, I enjoyed the anchor of his return. Added to that, he was with two of the characters from The Ghost Brigades. All in all, it felt like the band was back together.

This story of galactic intrigue and war wasn't told on a cosmic scale. Instead, Scalzi scaled back the story, placing us on a single colony, Roanoke (a bit too on the nose if you know its history), and then taking time to explore the dynamics of colonists living on the front lines of an amorphous war.

The plot puts us at the fulcrum between the Colonial Defense Force and its expansionist ways and the Conclave, a collective of worlds trying to reduce the violence of interstellar colonization. We see Perry, his partner Jane Sagan, and their adoptive daughter Zoe working to navigate a war that is no longer theirs to fight.

One note: book three and book four are companions. The Last Colony has plot holes galore. Until you read Zoe's Tale. So, dear reader, be warned. Don't mutter under your breath about deus ex machina. It's all explained in the next book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Colony.

Started Reading