Lucas Mangum's Reviews > True Crime

True Crime by Samantha Kolesnik

Read 2 times

For nearly a decade and a half, you couldn't talk about female violence in literature without mentioning the name Gillian Flynn. Going forward, you won't be able to do so without mentioning Samantha Kolesnik. With her debut TRUE CRIME, she firmly cements her place in the canon. TRUE CRIME is bleak, nuanced, and frankly, just beautifully written. TRUE CRIME may wear its influences on its sleeves, but it transcends them, becoming something far more interesting. It's a meditation on the shadow self, full of literary allusions, heartbreak, and passages that made me have to stop reading, just so I could fully digest what I'd just taken in. It's the type of debut every author dreams of: like McCarthy's CHILD OF GOD, it displays an author who has already realized her potential, and isn't honing her craft in public. In the hands of a lesser author, TRUE CRIME could've easily devolved into a preachy manifesto or episodic violence, but Sam is so much better than that. The future of dark fiction is in good hands.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read True Crime.

Finished Reading