BookOfCinz's Reviews > Such a Fun Age

Such a Fun Age by Kiley Reid

liked it
bookshelves: 2020-read, boc-bookclub, debut, do-not-believe-the-hype, m-e-h, underwhelming

Such A Fun Age is Kiley Reid’s debut novel that’s been getting a lot of attention and I am here for the success of a black woman writer.

In Such A Fun Age we meet twenty-five year old, black babysitter, Emira whose insurance is about to expire and needs to find a “real job”, the problem is, she has no idea what she wants to do with her life….none. Emira baby sits for Alix Chamberlain, a lifestyle blogger and influencer who recently move to Philly with her two daughters and husband Tucker who is a News Presenter.

Emira is smitten with Briar who she’s formed a strong relationship with and looks forward to babysitting. When Alix called her late one night to come over and take Briar out, Emira shows up- no questions asked. It was during that late night outing with Briar that Emira was accused on camera by a security guard for kidnapping. Emira is mortified but stands her ground, Alix while furious does not know how to handle a situation like this, which led to a break down in the relationship.

In reading the reviews for this book I realize I am in the absolute minority. I did not like it….there, I said it. I wanted to be in the group that loved this book. Here are the list of things that did not work for me:

1. While it was a pretty easy read, it felt very surface level. I am of the opinion that a book can be an easy read and deep. I felt a lot of the issues eg. Racism and white privilege was glossed over and not addressed with the importance that it deserved. For example- Kelley using the N-word and Tucker being a racist.

2. I understand that Emira is just twenty-five years old but I felt her lack of ambition was startling. Sis had no clue what she wanted to do with her life… while that is (not) fine, she also didn’t have any goals… I just could not even take her serious. The lack of ambition really threw me off.

3. Emira as a character was so aimless, unformed, one dimensional and a general push over- this infuriated me. Even though Emira was the character we spent the most time with, I still did not feel like I know her.

4. Alix was just eye-rolling to be honest.

5. The problem from the past that came into Alix and Emira’s life was so ridiculous I could not even handle it. Here is Alix still hung up on something that happened to her while she was in high school- COME. ON.

I could go on and on but I will stop with this list. I really really wanted to love this one, I even selected it as a BookOfCinz Book Club read for March but this missed the entire mark for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Such a Fun Age.

January 17, 2020 – Shelved as: to-read
March 3, 2020 – Shelved as: debut
March 3, 2020 – Shelved as: do-not-believe-the-hype
March 3, 2020 – Shelved as: m-e-h
March 3, 2020 – Shelved as: underwhelming

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)

Katie Oh noooo! I'm sorry you didn't like it :( I totally understand all of your points though.

Jessica Klahr The high school quasi-love triangle plot line really bugged me as well. Thanks for your honesty I thought I was one of the only ones who didn't love this book!

BookOfCinz Katie wrote: "Oh noooo! I'm sorry you didn't like it :( I totally understand all of your points though."

And I know this is a favorite but.... ugh

BookOfCinz Jessica wrote: "The high school quasi-love triangle plot line really bugged me as well. Thanks for your honesty I thought I was one of the only ones who didn't love this book!"

It was so eye rolling I could not even.

Debra You gave 3 stars to a book you did not like??

Kelly I really don’t like when characters are still hung up on something that happened ages ago in high school.

Tucker is Emira’s last name, not Alix’s husband. His name is Peter.

Neha Dhavale Same here! I was just sitting n reviewing and I just came here to check whether anyone else felt that the school drama was lame af. I dont get the hype!

Keshia | BossBookBae 🎯 this is exactly how I felt about this book.