Danika's Reviews > What I Talk About When I Talk About Running

193449
Aug 28, 2008

it was ok
Recommended for: runners

Y'know, I did not love this book. I certainly wouldn't recommend it to anyone who is not a runner. It's way too specific and longwinded for a non-runner to appreciate. Here's my gripe: he's WAY too wrapped up in times and doesn't seem to enjoy long-distance running for the sake of it. For instance, he plans to run the NYC marathon one year and his goals are 1) to finish 2) to NEVER walk, only run and 3) to enjoy himself. Sorry, but I think that's crazy! Who cares if you walk for a bit? And enjoying himself is only 3rd. Hmmm....

Obviously my running style differs. In any case, there are some interesting aspects to do with running as you get older, etc. but by and large it did not knock my socks off.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What I Talk About When I Talk About Running.

August 28, 2008 – Shelved
Started Reading
November 17, 2008 – Finished Reading

message 1: by Laila (new)

Laila Wow, I had no idea Murakami was such an avid runner. Hopefully this is better than his last book!

Mary Beth I'm NEARLY done with this book-it's a little exhausting to read! Maybe something is lost in translation? But it's kind of dry, almost like I'm reading his running log? And what's up with never walking? To each his own I guess, but sheesh--get over it!

Julio Vidal It's his samurai work ethics, we should respect it. it's a cultural issue, running like a job.