ladydusk's Reviews > Consider This: Charlotte Mason and the Classical Tradition

Consider This by Karen  Glass

bookshelves: audio-books

I had read nearly all of this in book form and enjoyed it ... but got distracted and began other things ... and suddenly it was buried under a stack of books begun and unfinished. I suspect many readers can identify.

Happily, I won a copy of the newly released audiobook read by Donna-Jean Breckenridge immediately before a trip where I was driving by myself. I listened to nearly all of it on that trip and finished this evening while making pancakes for dinner and then while my children were watching Swallows and Amazons. Again.

What a helpful, lovely book.

Glass pulls together ideas from classical educators as and the principles of Charlotte Mason as the warp and weaves the idea of sythetic knowledge as the woof to reveal a glorious tapestry displaying what can be when we teach our children - and ourselves - in this way.

I was especially fascinated by her discussion of The Ways of Reason and Will. I am intrigued and ready to seek out more.

This book is a needed corrective of course to our modern educational courses and pathways. Highly Recommended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Consider This.

January 1, 2015 – Shelved (Kindle Edition)
January 16, 2020 – Started Reading
January 16, 2020 – Shelved
January 20, 2020 – Shelved as: audio-books
January 20, 2020 – Finished Reading
January 21, 2020 – Shelved as: quit (Kindle Edition)

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

ladydusk Donna-Jean can read me whatever she likes.

message 2: by Melissa (new) - added it

Melissa King I love her books, they always help me adjust my trajectory in homeschooling. Also, my kids are finishing up the Swallows and Amazons book, what is this your kids were ‘watching’? A S&A movie?!?! I want to know more!

ladydusk On Amazon Prime there is a movie loosely based on Swallows and Amazons (with an international spy ring defeat, natch, added in). They've watched it before. It's fun.