Diane Supinski's Reviews > Sacré Bleu: A Comedy d'Art

Sacré Bleu by Christopher Moore

Apr 18, 2012

did not like it

This book was nothing at all what I expected and I'm surprised I even finished it.
The description read "In July 1890, Vincent van Gogh went into a cornfield and shot himself. "Or did he?" Why would an artist at the height of his creative powers attempt to take his own life . . . and then walk a mile to a doctor's house for help? Who was the crooked little "color man" Vincent had claimed was stalking him across France? And why had the painter recently become deathly afraid of a certain shade of blue?"

"These are just a few of the questions confronting Vincent's friends--baker-turned-painter Lucien Lessard and bon vivant Henri Toulouse-Lautrec--who vow to discover the truth about van Gogh's untimely death. Their quest will lead them on a surreal odyssey and brothel-crawl deep into the art world of late nineteenth-century Paris"

Sounds like a good mystery no? NO. The two key words in this description are "surreal odyssey" I had a hard time following the storyline. It was very esoteric.

There are good points in the book. The characters of the famous painters in the novel are pretty accurate and he does give interesting antedotes on several paintings. Others may like this book I would suggest two things. Read a couple of reviews on the author and then read a few of the other reviews on the book and make your decision. I for one did not care for it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sacré Bleu.

April 18, 2012 – Shelved
page 147
June 21, 2012 –
page 204
June 23, 2012 – Finished Reading

Diane Supinski Not so sure how this one is going to go over

Diane Supinski I really am not enjoying this book, but I am kinda far along so I will finish it.

Grandmother's Wisdom I think I will pass on this one. When you get that far and your time is invested you feel like you have to finish, if only to say you did. It doesn't make it easy. Thanks for sharing. :)

message 4: by Drew (new)

Drew Zagorski Di... I'm not much on Moore's stuff, though I really had a good laugh with Lamb. That was a good one. Don't know if you've ever read any Hiaasen, but Sick Puppy is awesome to for a lot of laughs and a bit of mystery tossed in. ;)