Kate's Reviews > Three Cups of Tea: One Man's Mission to Promote Peace ... One School at a Time

Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson

Aug 28, 2008

bookshelves: bookclub-picks-potential, nonfiction
Recommended to Kate by: book club
Recommended for: everyone

This is an amazing story about an amazing man. I'm also passionate about children getting an education, and I was moved that Greg did so much to help these kids. He sacrifices a lot and puts himself in danger because he knows what he is doing is so important.

It was especially interesting to see the other side of the battle lines during the time of the 9/11 attacks and the following war. I think his message is an important one -- education is the way to keep kids from being drawn to terrorist groups, and the only way to secure a long term solution to the problems over there.

The story was told in beautiful language and detail, as well; David Relin, the journalist who did the co-writing, is a fabulous author. He evoked the beauty of the mountains exquisitely, and I teared up several times reading the many evocative scenes between Greg and the people he has helped.

I think this is an important book to read, if only to give ourselves the benefit of seeing from another's perspective, rather than our limited American one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Three Cups of Tea.