L.R. Braden's Reviews > The Queen of Nothing

The Queen of Nothing by Holly Black

Overview: Once again, Ms. Black delivers a killer story in this satisfying conclusion to her Folk of the Air series. If you like darkly twisted stories about the fae, this is a series you won't want to miss.

World building: There is little added to the world building in this book if you've read the rest of the series, but Black continues to beautifully describe the fae lands through which Jude travels. One new place she visits is the frozen north, though there isn't much there besides snow and ice. Jude's evolving powers, along with a deepening understanding of those around her, weave a rich tapestry of the world and the people and powers at play.

Character & Voice: As with the other books in this series, Jude is our narrator and the book is written in present tense. Jude is strong and capable, though riddled with doubt, both in herself and in those around her.
It was a pleasure to read the interactions between Jude and Cardan, the back and forth of their twisting, evolving relationship. Likewise, Jude's complicated relationships with her family continued to deepen and fork in unforeseen ways.

Language & Mechanics:
Beautifully written, expertly edited. This book was a pleasure to read. As always, I struggled with the present tense narration at first, but once I found my stride the pages flew past in a blur of engrossing storytelling. Bravo, Ms. Black!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Queen of Nothing.

January 15, 2020 – Started Reading