Jenny (Reading Envy)'s Reviews > 33 Simple Strategies for Faculty: A Week-By-Week Resource for Teaching First-Year and First-Generation Students

33 Simple Strategies for Faculty by Lisa M. Nunn

bookshelves: read2020, librarianship, higher-ed, advising

I read through this in preparation for a faculty discussion group at work. It has some good ideas in it but the reading experience is a bit bogged down to my tastes with too many fonts and student quotations cluttering up each page. I think the quotes are nice to read but in the middle of a narrative paragraph, not so much.

The ideas are simple, maybe too simple? I struggled to find a new idea or one we were not already intentionally implementing in our stepped up advising program, our pathways program, and so on. But for people who maybe are not so student focused or for faculty teaching at places without these programs, this will be a useful read, as it gives 33 ways an individual faculty member can reach out to students. And while the subtitle says first-year and first-gen students, we all know that pedagogy good for those groups tends to be good for everyone.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 33 Simple Strategies for Faculty.

January 15, 2020 – Started Reading