Robin Hobb's Reviews > The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie

I listened to this as an audio book. The version I had was from my library, and is, I believe the tenth anniversary edition.
It was read by the author.

I started out listening to this on my own. I like having a story running in the background while I'm doing routine tasks. But very soon I saw that my husband Fred was also closely tuned into the story. So I timed my listening times so that we could enjoy it together. And enjoy it we did.

I loved Alexie's voice and inflection for this telling. I loved that he sometimes chokes up as he's reading his own words. Writers do that, even years later. There are parts of our own books that we can't get through without a tear or two.

There were moments that made both Fred and I laugh out loud, and times when we completely stopped whatever hand project we were doing to listen intently. Exhilarating triumphs and heartbreaking moments, all told in a simple style.

My grand daughter (16) came in while we were listening. "Oh, I know this one. We read it in school. I loved it." (How often do you hear that about a required reading book?)

I am years late coming to this work, obviously. I'm sure you've heard that it's the first person tale of a young man growing up on an Indian reservation in Washington state. It's so much more than that.

I recommend this, especially in the audio book format with Sherman Alexie reading his own work. I recommend that you listen to the extra bit at the end of it, too. I think it would make a great story for a family to share at home in the evening or on a long car ride.

Excellent, excellent book.

Started Reading
January 14, 2020 – Shelved
January 14, 2020 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

message 1: by E.L. (new) - added it

E.L. Thank you for your great reviews.

Eileen You have me intrigued! Adding to my list, especially the audio!

Anna I enjoyed this a lot, and some phrases have stuck with me for years - I still get a giggle over (paraphrased) “white people are actually translucent, you can see their VEINS”.

message 4: by mmaquilino (new)

mmaquilino I read this for diversity credits for work. Loved it!!!

message 5: by Leonie (new) - added it